Total Pageviews

Friday 5 April 2013

Wombstone by Jessica Roscoe


Name: Wombstone: A Vampireland Novel
Author: Jessica Roscoe
Pages: 300
Genre: Paranormal


Mia Blake was a normal girl. She went to Blair Academy. Had a best friend named Evie.  A boyfriend named Jared. She lived alone while her mom was in New York, living with her step dad, but she was still a normal girl. Until she was taken.
Wombstone by Jessica Roscoe was a terrifying yet amazing book. This book kept you on your heels as it was throwing you left and right, up and down.
The story was written well, the characters grew with the story, and the story-line was downright awesome.
If I had to choose the genre of this book, I would definitely add in horror. The book definitely scared me a little because of the events and other. I would give this book 5 out of 5 (stars). 
Wombstone by Jessica Roscoe was surprise after surpriseYou really get to see how the characters develop throughout the story. I could not get my eyes unglued to this book. I literally read it in a day, I just couldn't put it down! The story takes you places you would never expect to go. I loved all the characters, and I certainly cannot wait for The Vessel, sequel to Wombstone.

Jessica Roscoe and I had an opportunity to talk about her work, and a few other things. Here is my interview with her: 


Me:   So first question: How did you come up with Wombstone?

Jessica: I didn't really come up with it so much as it fell into my head  The first little bit that came to me was the first scene of the book where Mia is taken. I was living in New Jersey and working at a summer camp. That summer camp as a lifeguard also provided me with the background for Mia and Jared's relationship and her past.

Jessica: That was back in 2006, so its been a while in the making!

Me: When you started writing it, did you always intend on it being with vampires?

Jessica: I've always loved vampires - from watching Buffy back in my teen years, reading Christopher Pike's The Last Vampire series, and watching vampire movies, its been a popular theme for me.
So when this story of a girl taken by vampires came to me, I went with it!
I guess I also had just read Twilight and a few other vampire novels where characters were really eager to become vampires. The idea of the reluctant vampire was appealing to me - I wondered what kind of vampire you wouldn't want to become, one that was terrifying more than desirable.

Jessica: So I always intended my vampires to be pretty scary 

Me: Have you already started writing the second book?

Jessica: Yes! I'm so excited about it. Writing is going well, I'm about a quarter of the way through the first draft. I can write pretty quickly (if I get the time!) so I'll have it out by christmas. Hopefully earlier.
It's called "The Vessel".

Me: I am extremely excited!

Me: Are you writing anything else? A different book?

Jessica: I have been working on a book that I'd call a contemporary thriller? It's about a woman called Emily Taylor who wakes up in hospital after a serious car accident, unable to remember the last three years of her life. Last thing she remembers is when her kids were still babies and she was working on a top-secret research project at the pharmaceutical company her husband's family owns. Her kids are older, her husband is acting weird, her best friend had passed away during the missing years, and her best friends husband, Peter, has vanished into thin air.
But things aren't what they seem. Where is Peter? Why is Emily's husband acting so strangely? And where did those three years of Emily's life actually go?

Me: That sounds very interesting!

Jessica: Thanks! Another one that I started when I was in the USA. Totally different to Wombstone but with another kick-ass female lead.

Me: Have you always wanted to be an author?

Jessica: Yes and no. I ended up studying film at university with a view to moving to either Sydney or LA after I finished my degree to work in the industry. But my life is here in Western Australia and while I do love film (and TV), I don't love it enough to uproot my entire life for it. 
So then I came back to writing - and I love it more and more!

Jessica: I have been writing since I was about 6 years old and always making things up 

Me: So I am guessing you were a very imaginative child?

Jessica: you guessed right! Always making up stories, acting them out... it was a lot of fun. I was always the director of the neighbourhood. Myself, my brother and our neighbours would reenact scenes from TV shows all the time 

Me; How do you find the time to write?

Jessica: It's an ongoing struggle. Being a mum and working a day job (part-time), I don't have a lot of free time! Mostly I write at night, after my little one has gone to bed. I don't get much sleep but I love what I do

Me: What is your favorite genre of book to read?

Jessica: I have a few. I really love paranormal - The Rachel Morgan "Hollows" series is one of my favourites, as well as Lili St. Crow's "Strange Angels" series. I don't mind romance as an element but I don't like that to be the only thing in the story if you know what I mean? So I don't really enjoy paranormal romances. 
I"m also partial to young adult as a whole - the teenage years and early twenties are such an intense part of growing up and becoming an adult, and that is really interesting in a book for me.
I used to like straight horror/thrillers but the older I get, the more I can't handle stuff like that. I mean, I didn't sleep for about three years after I read "Kiss the Girls" by James Patterson. The movie was tame so I thought I'd try the book. Yeah. Not good if you have nightmares 

Me: Well, that is all the time I have for today  Thank you so much for taking your time to do this interview with me. 

Jessica: Thanks so much for the interview! I really enjoyed the chat with you and it was great to talk about my other project as well!
xxx

It was really fun to communicate with her about some of her other projects, and know some of her favorite things. 

Here is a little expert for you guys: Once upon a time, I was just a girl. My name was Mia. I lived a long way away from here. I had a mother and a best friend and a boyfriend I was pretty sure I had fallen completely in love with. I lived most of the time in my dorm room at my high school, because despite any other excuse, I didn’t like to be alone.
I wasn’t the first girl that was taken.
Sure, I had heard all about the girls who were missing, and even though they were only ‘missing’ I knew in my heart that those girls were dead. And my heart scrunched up in agony for them, for their families, just for a moment. Until the thought was replaced by something else, something different, because I couldn’t bear to think about those poor dead girls any longer.
I felt sad for them. But more than that, I felt glad that they had been strangers – not someone I knew, and certainly not me. Things like that didn’t happen to girls like me.
They always happened to someone else, and that’s why I barely blinked as I made my way across an empty football field, through a snow–laden parking lot, to meet a fate I had arrogantly assumed was reserved for other people.
I was a stupid girl.
I paid for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment